My approach to product development
The role of Product and Technology teams in a modern business is to ensure the best ideas are prioritised and executed with minimal friction.
To achieve this, businesses need to build an environment where:
- Outcomes are the focus, rather than outputs (see also: Defining initiatives with an outcome-mindset).
- Product teams consist of individuals with diverse skills, because no individual covers all bases.
- Reduction of scope is encouraged and celebrated, provided intended outcomes are achieved.
- Teams can make time for experimentation to reduce the risk around upcoming work. This helps teams to become more ambitious without jeopardising outcomes.
- Customer engagement forms a key component a teams' way of working.
- Ownership between teams and individuals is clear.
- Reusable patterns are valued and utilised.
- Teams work backwards from a desired outcome or goal rather than forwards towards a nebulous end state.
- Teams are high-leverage, meaning they've utilised reusable patterns and their body of research to achieve greater outcomes with less effort.
Below is a collection of some musings on product management: